TRIP REPORT: QF MEL-ADE-MEL

Tell us what happened.

TRIP REPORT: QF MEL-ADE-MEL

Postby mickk » Mon Jan 07, 2013 5:36 pm

Day trip on Saturday off to a flying start, QANTAS has ditched the 8ish departure and gone for 9ish. It looked pretty full when I booked. Either they have combined two flights or two will be leaving at 9ish as the scheduled 9ish flight was also pretty well booked. I chose QANTAS for this flight I thought perhaps one last time to compare them to Virgin. I got my answer already it seems. More to follow...
mickk

Re: TRIP REPORT: QF MEL-ADE-MEL Preview update

Postby mickk » Fri Jan 11, 2013 6:53 pm

Today I had cause to call 131313 after spending half an hour on the Qantas website going around in circles.

I spent a total of four hours in 30 minute blocks and didnt get to speak to a person. I gave up.

Not looking good Q vs V at this stage. Qantas will have to pull something out of the bag to make up all this lost ground..
mickk

Re: TRIP REPORT: QF MEL-ADE-MEL

Postby mickk » Sat Jan 12, 2013 8:51 pm

Well today got of to a good start, train on time and the Skybus performed as per usual. On arrival at Tulla I headed for gate 21, waited, then it was all change, all change, flight now departing gate 3. here we go, just like flying high! So we all marched down there, boarded on time, then we waited. Pilot said gate change was due to late change of aircraft. We waited for "some traffic behind us" I had a look at the fleet of catering vans, luggage carts and blokes in golf carts doing speed tests behind us and wondered if the a/c had a horn. Very nice interior BTW, but not as good as the new Virgin look.

We departed about 25 minutes late. When the pilot came on after 10 minutes late, he said we would make up time, but then we had a/c ahead of us, so landed 15 minutes late. We had a bit of a shake going through low cloud at abt 1500ft but the pilot had the seatbelt signs off at abt 3000 ft, very shortly after departure.

Smooth flight above blanket high cloud at abt 24000 ft, What I could see is just so dry, unbelievable how much this has all dried out in 3 months, No signs of bushfires or damage due to cloud. A couple of very gentle turns got us on final just to the west of the jail. Adelaide Hills gullies looked green in comparison to the rest of the country.

I did enjoy the back of seat flight detail screen, got to -52 at one stage. Water, juice and an apple and cookie were offered as were headsets like they were going out of style. No T or C or turps to be seen. The flight was pretty much chockers. I had a pair of the best behaved rug rats in front of me that I have ever had on a flight, a real credit to their father who they were travelling with.

I had to wait 15 minutes from seat 21a to get off. I dont understand. These people with huge hand luggage have defeated their purpose. The idea of carry on is to get on and off quick. Small items, not the kitchen sink, anyway, this is so you dont have to wait for baggage. Well now you are better of checking your bag because you will have less distance to carry it. You save no time in getting off because of all the cretins with bloody big bags they cant even lift up to the lockers or get down without help. I sat aft to see the flaps, ok I seen enough, back to the front for me.

Using front only exit is a bloody joke Qantas.

Got to AP early for the flight back so I could watch a few a/c. Adelaide is the best view from a terminal in the country, perfect I reckon. From a distance, I spied some long lenses, aha, a squadron of Spotters maybe? Correct, I met four of the boys from around the country ona bit of a spot. Names have been deleted to protect the innocent, faces blurred, but here is a pic, you may recognise the guilty.

mutt 030 [800x600].jpg

You can play guess the spotter!

Flight back boarded very swifty, not as much cabin baggage. I was very lucky and had empty seat next to me and a nice chap next to that who was returning from East Timor, very intersting. $700 return from Darwin with North Air I think he said, An hour flight, nice a/c E17 something, they have a monopoly so charge the earth. Most punters aid agencies, govt agencies etc. Very poor place, Dili a dump, but amazing country and beautiful people. It is now on my list.

Once again seat belt sign off very quickly, then on again when we hit mild turbulance for a minute, it was nice, I had a great view of the wing flexing and the winglet moving. A lovely turn off the coast and a lovely view. Low cloud then some high cloud then 15 minutes of dry vic bush. A nice steep right bank for final. I didnt even feel the wheels touch and I was just about above them. 10/10 for that landing, just sweet. As you all know you get to know the difference to a poofteenth after a while, and this was perfect. The cart came around and there was pate and crackers, apples, turps, and soft drink, juices. I didnt bother either way, but it was nice to have them offered gratis. Once again, more headsets but screens from the roof, all locked on the one channel. That was a bit sad as I was looking forward to the flight screen again.

I will follow up with numbers etc tomorrow, just getting this done while it is fresh.

SO, was it worth paying an extra $25 each way to travel Qantas? Well the leg room seemed the same as Virgin, which is better than Jetstar. The seat was better than JS again, might have been a tad better than Virgin. The air vent was not as good as virgin, better than JS, and seemed great on the way over, but different a/c on the way back,I think it was 300/800, the vent not as good or cold.

For. the flight tracker screen, when you have it, the $10-15 airline price food you can nab each way, and thats about it. Im just a walk on walk off, so baggage doesnt factor for me. More reactive flight crew, when you say hello how are you, you dont get a nod or a grunt like with V and J, you get a nice reply. Qantas seems to have more efficient cabin crew, they get the job done with the trolley quick and nice, not quick and mean like the other two.

Against. The changes to flight times, the changes to gate, the delays, the 4 hours trying to phone them, the inept web help section that sends you in a loop. The front only exit procedure. The lax cabbin baggage rules. A farce, 80% of people have bags that would not fit in the test cradle in a month of sundays, one woman had 4 pieces, its a joke.

So if you take out the delays and customer service issues, for me, there is not much in it between Virgin and Qantas. If Virgin is a 10, then Qantas is an 8 IMHO. If you have baggage and like to eat and drink during a one hour flight, then Qantas is worth the extra for you I think. Its not for me, but they will be my second choice.

Jetstar will always be third choice, because its like flying in a sardine can.

I forgot to mention that I think we were abt 15 minutes ahead of schedule into Mel, tailwinds I guess, there is some rain on the way for melb.

If you have stuck with me this far, I will have a departure and landing video for you added tomorrow arvo.
mickk

Return to Trip Reports