Abbreviations

Suggestions to improve Jetspotter.com

Abbreviations

Postby Daniel K » Fri Oct 03, 2008 10:27 pm

As per a discussion on another topic i'd like to bring this up for the few of us that arent in the know like most people on here but have an interest in all things aviation
Its not hard to type the term or the name of the destination next to the abbreviation at least at the start of the topic to save us having to search google or other sites
and yes i have abbreviations in my signiture but its not related to a topic and just what's on my itinery and i'm probably just trying to fit in with the crowd
just after some opinions

oh and why is abbreviation such a long word that it has to be abbreviated:)
I don't care where i'm going as long as i'm going somewhere
Daniel K

Postby B Nash » Sun Oct 05, 2008 12:00 am

Agree with this. :)
B Nash

Postby Daniel K » Sun Oct 05, 2008 8:53 am

B Nash wrote:Agree with this. :)
thanks

The information that has been abbreviated is most probably writen in its full form from where its come from..

for example QF increases MEL - SYD its writen on the website or news as Qantas increaces services from Melbourne to Sydney

its not that hard to copy and paste or even just type it in.... It's not that hard to do and it would be a lot easier for the rest of us than trawling the web for answers

It's same with airline codes and even other aviation related abbreviations
Daniel K

Postby Lisa W » Sun Oct 05, 2008 9:31 pm

As a more proactive (rather than passive) approach, you could bookmark the page that lists all the abbreviations or even save it to your desktop for easy, instant reference to save you having to 'trawl' the web each time you encounter an abbreviation you don't know. I'm an aero-dunce, but even I can find the info I am after by looking at this. And it was even on the BNE (Brisbane) website ;)
Lisa W

Postby Stuart Trevena » Sun Oct 05, 2008 10:30 pm

Hi All,

I raised this same issue wayback on July 4th 2006.

I wrote

Hi All,

This is only a suggestion, one that I think should be followed to help all other board members, particularly those who aren't employed by the Airlines or Air Traffic Control areas.

Could all posters who use aviation Abbreviations, please include the Abbreviations meaning.

Eg. SMC (surface movement controller)
ATC (Air Traffic Control)

You only need to do it once in the post, and then refer to the abbreviation for the rest of the post.

There are people like me, who are just aviation enthusists, who don't know all the abbreviations, this includes airport abbreviations.

This would be of great help, as it would make reading of some posts, easier to understand, as we don't have to decipher what is being said.

Stuart

P.S. This has also been posted on the Sydney Board

Nothing has been done, and I not holding my breath on anything being done either, which is a pity.

There should be a link on the home page of this website to the abbreviations.

Stuart
------------------------------------------------
Qantas 747-338's
A Classic

Aircraft Types Flown On:
B727
B737-300
B737-400
B767-200
B767-300
B747SP
B747-200
B747-300
B747-400
A300
A330-200
A320-200
Stuart Trevena

Postby Daniel K » Mon Oct 06, 2008 6:11 pm

wy should we need to go to 3rd party websites to find out what the experts can tell us here ....you know what the abbreviatin is when you post why not put the information for everyone rather than for the people in the know and let the rest of us go searching
Daniel K

Postby Shane D » Mon Oct 06, 2008 10:44 pm

I agree too.

I'm guessing that its probably not something that is important to those who are in the know, or those that obviously work in the industry, but for people on the sidelines that have an interest in this sort of stuff, but not the knowledge, it gets a little daunting sometimes (as I said in the other post :))

Great site though
Shane D

Return to Suggestion Box