ADL close to securing more international flights

Aircraft Information, Arrivals & Departures

Re: ADL close to securing more international flights

Postby Tony Haynes » Thu May 13, 2010 11:48 am

So EK can fly to every other city during the day but want to go through Adl at night. Doesnt make sense to me.
Tony Haynes
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Brett M » Fri May 14, 2010 11:51 am

Tony Haynes wrote:So EK can fly to every other city during the day but want to go through Adl at night. Doesnt make sense to me.

Good point...after all, Sydney has a curfew too :(
Brett M

Postby Martin Hanley » Fri May 14, 2010 12:59 pm

From what I see, alot people fly from ADL-MEL and then connect onto EK flights.
My first shift back is on 12th out of Melbourne to Changi I think, i'll have to check again but it will be either on the LHR run on LA. bwhahahahahaha Im now LOLing more like on Holidays from your tip truck driving job

http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos.php?userid=31267
Martin Hanley
Prolific Member
Prolific Member

Postby lloyd fox » Tue May 18, 2010 2:38 pm

First of all to my friends in ADL can i say i hope ADL had at least 5 more airlines.

However i was under the impression that EK would fly only to ADL once they started a subsidiary charter carrier where a A380 would carry only 700 economy pax.I believe this subsidiary carrier has not as yet been set up.

Lloyd
lloyd fox
Prolific Member
Prolific Member

Postby PeteB » Sat Jun 26, 2010 5:36 pm

Excuse my ignorance. :oops:
As an example to my point.
Does EK (any airline for that matter) pay the same 'per passenger' fee to the airport. Whether the flight arrives ( as per schedule) in the morning? (peak time)
Or if it arrives at 2 in the morning?
If it's less 'per passanger' fee if a flight arrives at 2am. (as per schedule)
Then of course EK wouldnt want a curfew at Adelaide, so it would cost less, with a scheduled flight arriving at 2am.
Just wondering :)
Pete
To watch a Boeing 747 land or takeoff.
Is like watching poetry in motion
PeteB

Postby Tom A. » Sat Jun 26, 2010 7:26 pm

It may or may not cost less, but i'm not sure if i would want to arrive late at night. Fine to leave at night but bad to arrive at night ( hard to get to hotel etc.)
So pax may be willing to pay more for flights at good times than ones late at night.
Tom A.

Postby Tony Haynes » Sun Jun 27, 2010 4:09 pm

Ive been told Malaysian going to six a week by the end of the year. Also im still not sure why SQ changed their flight number into Adl. Maybe we will get extra flights over christmas. Remember with the A330's into Adelaide now, thats a loss of 40 seats a flight. At the moment all flights out of here are full. More flights are needed.
Tony Haynes
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Andy O » Mon Jun 28, 2010 2:53 pm

Tony Haynes wrote: Remember with the A330's into Adelaide now, thats a loss of 40 seats a flight. At the moment all flights out of here are full. More flights are needed.

Load factor Adelaide-Singapore vv for March 2010 (latest BTRE stats avaiable) was 81.1%. Over 4000 empty seats during that month :D
Andy O

Postby Tony Haynes » Tue Jun 29, 2010 11:43 am

Thats March Andrew. Pob on just about every SQ flight out of Adelaide over last 6 weeks has been 290 plus including crews. That a load factor of almost 100%. With load factors like that people struggle to fly when they want to. As i said more flights are needed to cater for demand.
Tony Haynes
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Martin Hanley » Tue Jun 29, 2010 12:29 pm

Tony Haynes wrote:Thats March Andrew. Pob on just about every SQ flight out of Adelaide over last 6 weeks has been 290 plus including crews. That a load factor of almost 100%. With load factors like that people struggle to fly when they want to. As i said more flights are needed to cater for demand.

That would be the reason they are getting on EK to SIN from MEL, the amount of EK connecting bags we get off ADL inbound flights is beyond a joke sometimes and thats not just to SIN but to all EK destinations ranging from LHR to ATH FCO FRA etc.

Maybe EK need to look at say a 0900 arr 2000 dep to/from DXB via SIN maybe 3x weekly to start with??? SQ clearly are 'comfortable' with their current arrangement as is QF, get EK in to 'ruffle' their feathers perhaps :wink:
My first shift back is on 12th out of Melbourne to Changi I think, i'll have to check again but it will be either on the LHR run on LA. bwhahahahahaha Im now LOLing more like on Holidays from your tip truck driving job

http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos.php?userid=31267
Martin Hanley
Prolific Member
Prolific Member

Postby Michael Nycyk » Wed Jun 30, 2010 9:47 am

See that's the thing, I know it costs a huge amount of money for airlines to operate with fuel, landing charges etc, but there should be flexiblity. Why should EK start daily into ADL unlike the other four cities? I have admired the way they have come into Australia and provide so many flights but if ADL needs them, and it seems so, what's wrong with three only?
Michael Nycyk

Postby Tony Haynes » Sat Jul 10, 2010 12:24 pm

The manager for Adelaide airport has stated that we will be getting a few more charter flights from China and a couple from Vietnam this year. This could be a start for regular flights to both China and Vietnam in the next few yrs.
Tony Haynes
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby stevenw » Sun Jul 11, 2010 12:05 pm

Tom A. wrote:It may or may not cost less, but i'm not sure if i would want to arrive late at night. Fine to leave at night but bad to arrive at night ( hard to get to hotel etc.)

Contrarily, I prefer a night arrival... or at least an arrival time that's after the afternoon check in times most hotels have. Nothing worse than arriving at 7am and not being able to check in until 3pm for a shower and a siesta!

It would be fun to see Air Asia X begin competition with Malaysia Airlines to Kuala Lumpur, but I think I'm just thinking with my stomach rather than my brain...
stevenw

Postby lloyd fox » Fri Jul 16, 2010 3:25 pm

MH announced 6 a week to ADL from march 2011 and daily by Nov 2011.

I read this on another site .

Malaysia Airline's new flight boost

by Emily Charrison

MALAYSIA Airlines will all but double its direct flights to Adelaide next March, in what tourism industry leaders say is a major fillip for the city.

Airline chairman Munir bin Abdul Majid has told the aifCity Messenger aif the company will increase its in-bound flights to Adelaide from four times a week to at least six, with the aim of offering daily flights by the end of 2011.

The news comes just weeks after the City Council and SA Tourism Commission endorsed a “City of Adelaide Action Plan”, which lists extra direct flights as a key driver for attracting more visitors to town. Mr Majid was in town last week for the Asian Studies Association of Australia Conference. He said Adelaide’s wine regions and lush city Parklands were a drawcard for Malaysian tourists, while South-East Asia was also becoming more popular with the state’s ageing population.

“South Australia is a bit quaint, it’s the garden state, the pretty state and there’s so much space and freshness here,” he said.

“When I saw the River Torrens and the green around it, people looked so happy.”

“And then you have all these cultural offerings there’s the Convention Centre, the (Festival) theatre and then on the other side the museum and art gallery.”

SA Tourism Commission acting chief executive Jo Podoliak said the increase in direct flights would help make Adelaide more “cost competitive” as a holiday destination, and more attractive for international visitors.

Australian Hotels Association SA general manager Ian Horne said it was “great news” for city businesses.

“We’re not a major gateway, we’re not Sydney, Melbourne or Perth, so it’s a great endorsement of SA’s product.”

‘It will ensure the current stock of accommodation like the new Crowne Plaza is not only viable but they prosper.”

Council applauds plan

TOWN Hall has welcomed Malaysia Airline’s plan to bring direct daily flights to Adelaide, saying it will raise the profile of the state and help SA compete with Australia’s more popular destinations.

Lord Mayor Michael Harbison - who is now in Malaysia as part of the World Heritage celebrations for Adelaide’s Sister City George Town in Penang - said the extra flights would significantly boost tourist numbers to the city.

“This is great news for South Australia as airline infrastructure and capacity makes a huge difference for trade and tourism,” he said from Penang.

City councillor Francis Wong, a chaperone for Mr Majid during his three-night stay, said it was “fantastic” to get the executive in town for the first time.

As for the extra flights, Cr Wong said: “It will not only benefit tourism and international relations but it will enrich SA because Adelaide is a gateway to the state.

“Without international airlines our state cannot prosper.”
lloyd fox
Prolific Member
Prolific Member

Postby jthompso » Fri Jul 16, 2010 4:31 pm

This is great news. Do you know if MH will still operate all flights using a B772 or will the extra flights result in A330's visiting Adelaide?
jthompso

PreviousNext

Return to Adelaide