ADL close to securing more international flights

Aircraft Information, Arrivals & Departures

Re: ADL close to securing more international flights

Postby Stefan J Perkas » Sun Dec 11, 2016 2:54 pm

Werner K wrote:Hi all,

Is China Southern Airlines commencing Adelaide service Mon/Tue Dec 12/13? Or has this been postponed or not signed off yet?

regards,

Werner

First flight arrives into Adelaide Tuesday 13/12/16.
Stefan J Perkas
Prolific Member
Prolific Member

Postby Werner K » Sun Dec 11, 2016 10:05 pm

Hi Stefan,

that's what I had thought but I couldn't find any details when I posted the question. I had a look at China Southern's timetable for Dec '16 to sometime in '17 and Adelaide wasn't listed. I have since however managed to find it on flight aware scheduled to arrive at 930am and depart 11am.

I've been able to start work a bit later to be able to witness it's arrival and wanted to make sure that it was still coming.

Thanks for the confirmation.

regards,

Werner
Werner K

Postby Stefan J Perkas » Wed Dec 21, 2016 9:06 am

Morning all,

Fiji Airwyas to begin 2x weekly flights between Nadi-Adelaide from June 2017.
Stefan J Perkas
Prolific Member
Prolific Member

Postby stevenw » Wed Dec 21, 2016 9:21 am

Stefan J Perkas wrote:Morning all,

It'll be interesting to see if that lasts. Virgin Blue tried for a while but couldn't make it work.

I'm assuming we'll be seeing 737-800's, changing to 737 MAX 8's as they arrive.
stevenw

Postby Stefan J Perkas » Wed Dec 21, 2016 10:00 am

stevenw wrote:
Stefan J Perkas wrote:Morning all,

It'll be interesting to see if that lasts. Virgin Blue tried for a while but couldn't make it work.

I'm assuming we'll be seeing 737-800's, changing to 737 MAX 8's as they arrive.

I reckon they will last. The flight will be operated by B737-800's.

Unfortunately the flights will be nocturnal...

Flight operate Monday and Friday...

FJ961 Dep NAN 1630 Arr ADL 2030
FJ960 Dep ADL 2200 Arr NAN 0535+1
Stefan J Perkas
Prolific Member
Prolific Member

Postby stevenw » Wed Dec 21, 2016 10:18 am

Stefan J Perkas wrote:
I reckon they will last. The flight will be operated by B737-800's.

Unfortunately the flights will be nocturnal...

Flight operate Monday and Friday...

FJ961 Dep NAN 1630 Arr ADL 2030
FJ960 Dep ADL 2200 Arr NAN 0535+1

Ouch. That 5:35am (3:05am Adelaide time) arrival is brutal. the timing for Nadi to Adelaide is alright, though!
stevenw

Postby M Hayli » Fri Dec 23, 2016 1:09 pm

0535 would be the arrival in local time. 0305 arrival is during the curfew and would not be permitted. 0535, while also during the curfew, is permitted with prior approval from the Department of Infrastructure and Regional Development.
M Hayli

Postby Stefan J Perkas » Fri Dec 23, 2016 6:01 pm

M Hayli wrote:0535 would be the arrival in local time. 0305 arrival is during the curfew and would not be permitted. 0535, while also during the curfew, is permitted with prior approval from the Department of Infrastructure and Regional Development.

0535 is the arrival time in Nadi, which equates to 0305 in Adelaide.
Stefan J Perkas
Prolific Member
Prolific Member

Postby M Hayli » Sat Dec 24, 2016 3:04 am

Got it. I really should read things properly before I post. I read it as Dep NAN 2200 Arr ADL 0535. :?
M Hayli

Postby MichaelC » Wed Jan 25, 2017 7:46 pm

October 2016 - Adelaide International Figures

Destination / Airline __ IN% / OUT%
Auckland / NZ _______ 79% / 91%
Denpasar / TT & JQ __ 87% / 84%
Doha / QR __________ 87% / 37%
Dubai / EK __________ 87% / 42%
Hong Kong / CX ______ 99% / 90%
Kuala Lumpur / MH ___ 93% / 77%
Singapore / SQ _______ 93% / 88%

Source: BITRE
MichaelC

Postby MichaelC » Wed Jan 25, 2017 8:12 pm

stevenw wrote:G'day Michael,

I've had a couple of recent arrivals from Hong Kong which have coincided with a Jetstar flight from Denpasar. Most of the e-passport machines haven't been working, so the queue to pass through immigration moves particularly slowly. There are something like six machines there with three gates, which should be enough but the past couple of times I've only seen two machines - the rest have been covered and have been out of service.

The weird design of the area where the single baggage carousel lives has resulted in the queue to get out of the place via customs extending to the far side of the carousel and then doubling back on itself back to the bottom of the stairs where it's formed some kind of weird swirling mass of people and bags because there's simply no more room for the queue to get any longer even if people want to join it. This means that people have to fight their way through two lines and against the flow of traffic to get to the end of the line. On my most recent arrival, people were queuing on the staircase just to get to the carousel because the line of people who were waiting for the single Border Force agent to direct traffic was blocking them from getting any closer. The area just isn't large enough. I overheard a lot of angry exchanges between people in the queue and people either trying to move against it to get to the end or who joined wherever they were and had people get angry at them for cutting the line. There simply wasn't room to move, let alone to the end of the queue.

Of course, there are plenty of Border Force people running around barking at people and threatening them with fines for even touching their mobile phones (probably to check the time) rather than actually contributing to moving the queue or helping people fight through two lines of people moving in opposite directions to get to the end of the queue. I overheard a couple of Adelaide Airport staff helping people in wheelchairs say to someone "Well, it's not normally this bad but as soon as two aircraft arrive at the same time it turns into a bit of a mess" so the airport authority must be aware of the problem.

Contrast this to getting from aircraft to taxi via fetching bags and passing through immigration and customs in both Hong Kong and Singapore in under fifteen minutes... Adelaide has a lot of room for improvement. There just isn't enough space to handle much more traffic, or two aircraft at the same time. Even with priority bag tags (which didn't make any difference whatsoever) it still took well over an hour to get from aircraft to pick up, even after being waved through the green lane at customs. It's chaos, and not a very good introduction to Australia or a very nice way to come home.

Departing Adelaide is usually OK. Safe travels!

Hi Steven,

Well I experienced Adelaide International last week on returning back from Europe. We flew Qatar and when we arrived we were they only international aircraft, the baggage terminal and customs area was mayhem (out of interest both outbound and inbound Qatar flights were 100% full in economy.. good to see), 3 of the 6 passport machines were out of action which made it slow. I see what you mean when comparing to other airports.

The best airport I experienced in Europe was probably London City, I flew from Zurich to LCY and I was off the aircraft (RJ100 stairs), collected baggage and through customs and then on a train heading to London within about 15mins, and all the staff were really helpful! Even the Old Bill helped me get on the right train.

In saying that, I still prefer landing in my home airport rather than going to Syd or Mel and transferring to a domestic flight. Hopefully they can sort out these issues soon.

Thanks for the comments.
MichaelC

Postby MichaelC » Wed Jan 25, 2017 8:16 pm

MichaelC wrote:October 2016 - Adelaide International Figures

Does anyone have any insight as to why both EK and QR had lower than average load factors *outbound* during October?
The previous few months they had both been around 70-90% full on the outbound leg.
MichaelC

Postby Stefan J Perkas » Wed Jan 25, 2017 10:20 pm

MichaelC wrote:
MichaelC wrote:October 2016 - Adelaide International Figures

Does anyone have any insight as to why both EK and QR had lower than average load factors *outbound* during October?
The previous few months they had both been around 70-90% full on the outbound leg.

The peak season is over for European travel, all those that went over in June, July etc are coming back home. Even when Emirates was sole operator they had low inbound numbers in October.
Stefan J Perkas
Prolific Member
Prolific Member

Postby Hugh T » Fri Feb 03, 2017 6:15 pm

Tigerair has permanently cancelled all flights to Bali.

"TIGERAIR is pulling out of Bali from Perth, Adelaide and Melbourne after weeks of fruitless negotiations with Indonesian authorities."

Source: Adelaide Advertiser, Friday 3rd February 2017
Hugh T

Postby Hugh T » Fri Feb 03, 2017 6:37 pm

Cathay Pacific will reintroduce a 5th weekly flight to Adelaide, on a permanent basis from July 6th this year.

"South Australia is getting another boost to the tourism and export market with the
return of Cathay Pacific’s fifth weekly service from 6 July 2017. The additional flight
will see the premium airline increase its capacity on the route by 25 per cent and
brings the weekly number of seats to 2,500, as well as adding space for 15 tonnes of
cargo.
According to Nelson Chin, General Manager, Cathay Pacific Airways Southwest
Pacific, the airline sees Adelaide as an important destination."

Source: Adelaide Airport media release 3rd February 2017
Hugh T

PreviousNext

Return to Adelaide