Emerald Airport Redevelopment

Aircraft Information, Arrivals & Departures.

Emerald Airport Redevelopment

Postby damian f » Sat Jun 05, 2010 9:32 pm

Evening all,

I visited Emerald Airport today and noted that Stage 1 of the alterations and additions to the Airport Terminal are now complete. Six new check-in counters, airline offices, pilot crew room and baggage conveyor system are now in operation. QantasLink are utilising three of the counters.

Passengers are still arriving and departing from the ‘old’ terminal. Stage 2 works will include construction of a new departure lounge, Qantas Club lounge and additional toilet facilities and are anticipated to be completed and in use during August. Stage 3 works will commence in August and include extensions within the ‘old’ terminal to the existing kiosk and rental car kiosk areas, expansion of the arrivals lounge and installation of a baggage collection carousel.

With all this development, Virgin Blue are again rumoured to be starting flights in and out of Emerald, but the lack of baggage and passenger screening, as well as a runway that is too narrow, are currently preventing scheduled services from starting.

The cost of this project is approx $7,700,000 with $2,000,000 funding being provided by the Queensland State Government under the Rural Living Infrastructure Program.

I have posted some photos on my blog... http://cqplanespotting.blogspot.com/

Cheers
Damian
damian f

Re: Emerald Airport Redevelopment

Postby lloyd fox » Sun Jun 06, 2010 6:45 pm

Well done Damian.Your blog looks great.

Lloyd
lloyd fox
Prolific Member
Prolific Member

Postby damian f » Mon Jun 07, 2010 8:16 am

Thanks Lloyd - the SE Qld blog was the 'inspiration'!!!

I hope to get around the vast CQ region and put some more 'spotting advice' on it for anyone who wants to come up this way!!

Cheers
Damian
damian f

Postby M Hayli » Mon Jun 14, 2010 5:21 pm

as well as a runway that is too narrow

Virgin fly 737's into Ballina/Byron. The dimensions of the main runway at Emerald are the same as Ballina/Byron (1900m long, 30m wide, 150m wide runway strip), so this shouldn't be an issue. Also, Ballina/Byron is 606km from Sydney, Emerald is 651km from Brisbane. Fuel load would therefore not be a major factor in determing whether the runway is suitable.
M Hayli

Postby damian f » Tue Jun 15, 2010 8:03 am

Yeah I have been advised about the correct dimensions etc etc... I was quoting a newspaper article (CQ News) who were quoting Virgin Blue... I suspect (as has been suggested in other conversations) that it may be the runway strength more than anything.

A B737BBJ was supposedly coming to Emerald and has to receive 'special clearance to land from CASA' (per the airport manager). So I suspect Virgin Blue to fly B737s into Emerald would need the same.

Do note that Emerald has received regular ERJ145 and ERJ170 flights from SkyAirWorld last year, and I believe an Alliance F100 has also touched down too...

Cheers
Damian
damian f

Postby M Hayli » Sat Jun 19, 2010 2:00 pm

Strength looks like it is the issue. Looking in ERSA, the subgrade strength is ultra low strength at Emerald and high strength at Ballina/Byron.
M Hayli

Postby damian f » Wed Aug 25, 2010 10:52 am

I guess its stage 2 of the redevelopment done, but the old terminal was decommissioned last weekend, with the new terminal departure area being opened for business for the first departure Saturday 14/8. I was fortunate enough to be flying out that morning and took a couple of snaps. Returning a couple of days later, revealled the 'temporary' baggage area with views over the apron and out to the runway. I have posted some pics on my blog (http://tinyurl.com/2e7bqxa).
damian f

Postby damian f » Fri Jan 28, 2011 2:14 pm

I popped into Emerald on Wednesday morning - 200km round trip - and to my surprise, the terminal redevelopments are now complete!

The new arrivals area finally features a baggage reclaim carousel, and the kiosk and hire car desks have received a facelift. The eating area is a little smaller and the views over the apron and GA parking area have gotten a bit smaller, with old open observation area now a restricted access area for the hire car staff. Views from terminal over the two gates are pretty good now though, and runway views are possible from an open area where airport staff and courier vans park to the South-West of the main terminal.

The departure lounge remains unchanged, with security screening still to be added at some later date. There are also now TV screens showing the (somewhat limited) flight information for the airport... This is also available online at the Central Highlands Council Website.

I took a few pics and have posted these on my blog... http://cqplanespotting.blogspot.com/

I personally think the place looks quite good!

Cheers
Damian
damian f

Postby damian f » Sat Oct 08, 2011 9:23 pm

A little bit more has happened at Emerald Airport last week with the opening of a QantasLink Regional Lounge for Qantas Club and Gold and Platinum Frequent Flyers.

The Lounge isn't that big, but a couple of pictures taken by the CQ News shows that it looks reasonably luxurious!

All EMD awaits is a security screen point and then Virgin to arrive in January 2012!!

A link on the CQ Plane Spotting Blog of the recent developments... http://tinyurl.com/3nmj6nn

Cheers
Damian
damian f

Return to Other Cities, States & Territories