Talisman Sabre 2011

Aircraft Information, Arrivals & Departures.

Talisman Sabre 2011

Postby damian f » Sat Mar 26, 2011 2:30 pm

Still a couple of months away but have found some info about the forthcoming events... website: http://www.talismansabre2011.com.au/index.html

TS11 will be conducted over a two week period from 18 to 29 July 2011, and includes lead up activities from 11 July.

TS11 is scheduled to involve up to approximately 30,000 Australian and US personnel.

Training activities will involve: live firing activities, parachute drops, amphibious landings, artillery, armour and infantry manoeuvres, air combat training, special forces operations, science and technology projects, and advanced maritime operations.

Main airport and port entries will include the RAAF Bases at Townsville, Amberley, Darwin, and Tindal, and ports of Townsville, Gladstone, Port Alma (near Rockhampton) and Darwin.

Firing Exercises will be conducted at the East Australian Range Complex including Shoalwater Bay Training Area and Townsville Field Training Area, the North Australian Range Complex including Delamere Range Facility, Bradshaw Field Training Area and Mount Bundey Training Area, and designated marine areas within the Coral, Timor and Arafura Seas.

Support sites, which will be used for staging and minor exercises include Port facilities in QLD (Port Townsville, Port Alma, Port Gladstone and Port Brisbane) and NT (Port Darwin), RAAF Bases at Darwin, Tindal, Townsville, Richmond and Amberley for aircraft holding, Rockhampton and Cairns Airports, and Defence sites at Townsville, Darwin and Rockhampton.

Looks good - start planning your holidays!! :D

Cheers
Damian
damian f

Re: Talisman Sabre 2011

Postby Richard G » Sun Mar 27, 2011 9:33 pm

Cheers to that Damian!
Richard G
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby damian f » Wed Apr 06, 2011 10:10 pm

Maybe a lead up movement for TS11 - or maybe not(!!) - but I am told that a USMC KC-130J with serial 167923 (tail code QD-923) of the VMGR-152 Unit arrived into Rocky Tuesday night and was still there this morning (Wednesday).

Damian
damian f

Postby Richard G » Thu Apr 07, 2011 12:55 pm

A lovely early starter there Damian,

On some further inquiries "Sumo" was in Darwin on 2nd April, Townsville on 3 April - so visiting all the popular TS night spots!

Darwin also had REACH 532 KC-135R 59-1482 of Altus and Convoy 7201 a C-40A 165832 arrive on 3 April (which I suspect are Pacific Partnership related? but may be relevant considering the theme of this thread). [info courtesy thanks to some good people]

Unfortunately the recent Darwin "minutes" do not shed much light on airframe types apart from a CVOA (Carrier Vessel Operating Area) to the North West of Darwin and activity times... :(

Prior to the catastrophic floods in Queensland, I understand TS11 was bringing a CVN port visit to Brissy :D (which I do hope is still on the cards) and multiple Yank buddha arrivals into Rocky following a large scale para drop in the SWBTA.

Unfortunately the bulk of our amphibious capability is shot for this year with Manoora & Kanimbla out of action (these were our largest aviation platforms as well), however the yanks should make up for that (the Kiwis are also back into exercising with the yanks so lets hope we see some Kiwi Hueys and their new A109's make an appearance)! Our recent Largs Bay acquisition is a touch late for this TS11...

There will also be a High Sierra style exercise in Townsville in May with Bugs, Hercs, Orions, H60s, UH-1s and the Tiger according to ASA. Shall miss greatly our Seakings when they retire this year - that was one helicopter with a "presence"!

Cheers Folks

Edit: REACH 532 now at Richmond :D
Edit 2: REACH 532 departed 8/4/11 last contact with Syd departures climbing to 5,000 at time 1850 local :(
Last edited by Richard G on Fri Apr 08, 2011 6:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Richard G
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby damian f » Thu Apr 07, 2011 9:19 pm

Great info - thanks Richard! Unfortunately my usual contact in Rocky moved on last year, so I know little this year.

I did however get sent a couple of pics of the herc leaving Rocky this morning to Darwin. I've posted these on the Blog - http://cqplanespotting.blogspot.com/

Cheers
Damian
damian f

Postby Richard G » Fri Apr 08, 2011 8:20 am

Very nice pics of Sumo - I am always partial to Marine Metal!
Richard G
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Craig Murray » Sat Jun 11, 2011 7:26 pm

This thread has been a little quiet and given we're now one month away from festivites kicking off I can't help but think it is going to be a little quiet here in the East Coast? I note the following from a report dated 9 November 2010 specifically relating to Rocky:

Much smaller footprint at Rockhampton

I take this note to refer to there being a lesser number of TS11 related movements than may have been the case during TS09. On further reading it also makes the following remarks:

Rockhamton/Shoalwater Bay

Not being used for fast jet basing - may be used as S & T support aircraft base
Will be primary fast air divert
KC130 may stop for mid flying day refuel
5 x C17 OP STOP - Will be 'Special Requirements'

Richard and I have possibly made reference to the same document, hopefully the Carrier visit still proceeds along with the para drop which I assume to be the 5 x C17 referred to above.

I am pondering again heading to Rocky but am hesitant to commit if the movements are reduced on previous years, Rocky is still reasonably quiet during TS exercises, any reduction will no doubt result in cobwebs forming on my camera equipment between movements!!!!

Hopefully this thread picks up pace over the next couple of weeks!
Craig Murray

Postby Craig Murray » Sat Jun 11, 2011 8:33 pm

HMM-265 is heading our way again aboard the USS Essex (LHD-2) according to this link

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.185522414830596.41522.111970095519162
Craig Murray

Postby Mick Raftery » Tue Jun 14, 2011 9:29 pm

And 'George' left two days ago.

Mick
Mick Raftery

Postby Richard G » Wed Jun 15, 2011 11:29 am

Sorry chaps,

The only 'concrete' news I have heard is that HMCS Ottawa will be appearing on the East Coast for TS11 so CANFORCE Seaking will be back.

I have heard that Raptors will be in Darwin but I cannot confirm this...

Cheers
Richard G
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Mike Y » Fri Jun 17, 2011 9:36 pm

Will be HMM-265's last deployment with the Phrog before it becomes VMM-265

http://www.marines.mil/unit/31stmeu/Pages/Dragonsjoin31stMEU.aspx

Dragons join 31st MEU

6/16/2011 By Lance Cpl. Garry J. Welch , 31st MEU
CAMP HANSEN, OKINAWA, Japan

Marine Medium Helicopter Squadron 265 (Reinforced), known as the ‘Dragons,’ attached to the 31st Marine Expeditionary Unit June 13, as the MEU’s incoming air combat element.

“Our mission will be to provide the best possible service for 2nd Battalion, 7th Marines, and the 31st MEU that we possibly can,” said Sgt. Maj. Russell A. Strack, the squadron sergeant major. “We will complete every mission that we are tasked with to the best of our abilities during our time spent supporting the MEU.”

HMM-265 (Reinforced), based out of Marine Corps Air Station Futenma, Okinawa, Japan, was last attached to the MEU in August of 2009, and participated in multiple exercises and a humanitarian aid and disaster relief operation after an earthquake struck the Republic of the Philippines.

The Dragons also participated in Operation Tomodachi in March, flying hundreds of humanitarian aid and disaster relief operations over a period of eight weeks.

“This is the second deployment with the MEU for a lot of Marines,” said Strack. “For some it’s even the third, but even with that in mind every Marine going on this deployment will have the opportunity to better themselves within their profession, and broaden their skill sets.”

“I am really looking forward to the experience,” said Lance Cpl. Nekorey A. Moorer, a supply clerk with HMM-265 (Reinforced), 31st MEU. “I’ve never been on ship before, and I’ve never been to a lot of the other places we’ll be going. It’s going to be a good way to gain experience.”

In addition to giving the Dragons valuable experience, this deployment will also be a historical one for the squadron.

“This is the final deployment this squadron will make as a Marine Medium Helicopter Squadron,” said Strack. “Once we complete this and come back to Okinawa, we are scheduled to transition into becoming a VMM [Marine Medium Tilt-Rotor] Squadron.”

As a tilt rotor squadron, HMM-265 (Reinforced) would field the new MV-22 Ospreys, which would greatly increase their capabilities.

Until the transition to the Osprey occurs, the squadron will be operating their standard CH-46E Sea Knight helicopters.

For the upcoming deployment with the 31st MEU, the unit is reinforced with more aircraft from units within the United States that bring additional capability to the squadron.

A detachment from Marine Heavy Helicopter Squadron 465 provides the HMM-265 (Reinforced) with about 50 Marines and CH-53E Super Stallion helicopters.

Also, a portion of Marine Helicopter Light Attack Squadron 467 attached to HMM-265 (Reinforced) provides them with another 50 Marines, UH-1N Twin Huey helicopters, and AH-1W Super Cobra Attack helicopters for about six months.

Finally, Marine Attack Squadron 214 will soon arrive and add more than 100 Marines and AV-8B Harriers to the ACE.

“This squadron has a proven performance record in expeditionary operations. Now, we are looking forward to serving as the ACE of the 31st MEU. Our reinforcements come from excellent squadrons on east coast, west coast, Yuma, and across Japan. Together as an ACE, we plan to become the standard bearer of amphibious readiness,” said Lt. Col. Damien M. Marsh, the commanding officer of the ACE. “As we begin this deployment I am confident every Marine and Sailor in the ACE will work hard to hold the legacy of the Dragons and the MEU.”

The 31st MEU is the only continually forward-deployed MEU, and remains the nation’s force-in-readiness in the Asia-Pacific region.
http://www.thebaseleg.com - Base Leg Aviation Photography

Also check out my Jetphotos.net collection
Mike Y

Postby damian f » Fri Jun 17, 2011 10:34 pm

Probably TS11 related but United States Navy (USN) Lockheed C-130T Hercules with registration/serial number 165348 (tail code JW5348) arrived in Rocky Airport during the afternoon today (17/6).

'JW' is a tail code for US Navy Fleet Logistics Squadron No. 62 (VR-62) "Nomads".

Have no other details about, but pictures should be on the Blog probably tomorrow!

Damian
damian f

Postby damian f » Sat Jun 18, 2011 2:37 pm

Pics of the latest Herc online now!

http://cqplanespotting.blogspot.com/

Damian
damian f

Postby Craig Murray » Wed Jun 22, 2011 8:22 pm

Official DoD and USN Talisman Sabre 2011 pages are now online:

http://www.defence.gov.au/opEx/exercises/ts11/index.htm

http://www.cpf.navy.mil/talisman-sabre

Of note is the open day at Rockhampton Showgrounds on Saturday, 9 July from 1.00 - 4.00 pm.

Also, a news item from the 31st Marine Expeditionary Unit (full article follows) shows that the USS Essex (LHD-2) will be joined by the USS Germantown (LSD 42).

http://www.marines.mil/unit/31stmeu/Pages/31STMEUSCHEDULEDTODEPLOYTOASIA-PACIFICREGION.aspx
Craig Murray

Postby Mike Y » Thu Jun 23, 2011 12:08 am

http://www.cpf.navy.mil/talisman-sabre/about/

No Raptors for DRW, the Vampires of the 44th FS instead (F-15C/D)
http://www.thebaseleg.com - Base Leg Aviation Photography

Also check out my Jetphotos.net collection
Mike Y

Next

Return to Other Cities, States & Territories