FSX Question

For the sim fans and hobbyist.

FSX Question

Postby NathanBartlett » Sat Mar 20, 2010 3:40 pm

Howdy All

Just upgraded today from FS2004 to FSX and at first glance the graphics are pretty bad. Even with the all the settings set to Ultra High i get about 20-30FPS but still looks terrible. I Ran FS2004 on all ultra high settings and with every possible add-on you could think of and it very smoothly with great detail. Is FSX really that much more harder on the computer than FS2004? Is it time for me to upgrade some things like my graphics card, or should i roll back to FS2004?

My computer atm
Processor- AMD Athlon 64 X2 Duel Core Processor 6000+ 3.0GHz
RAM - 4.00GB
Graphics Card - NVIDIA GEFORCE 8600GT
OS - Vista Home Premium
anything i missed thats important? :oops:

Cheers

Sorry i would like to also add my Feel There - Wilco E170,E190 doesn't work properly in FSX either
NathanBartlett

Re: FSX Question

Postby Scotty Curtis » Mon Mar 22, 2010 9:20 pm

Gday Nathan,

I was a big candidate for FS9 whilst on XP, I made the change to Vista and think it was on my computer for a least a month. Went back to XP but then went to FSX. I think FSX is the way to go, maybe you should try it on XP.

I also just made the step up to WIN7 64bit, with FSX but am still in test phase, so far so good.

My specs, from memory are:

Some Quadcore Phenom thingy
4 gig of ram
1 gt240 + 1 Gt9600 (im running 4 monitors for FSX.)
WIn7 Pro 64bit

Runs quite well.

Do your self a favour mate, get rid of Vista.
Send me a PM if I can help with anything else.

Cheers
Scotty
Scotty Curtis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Julian S » Mon Mar 22, 2010 10:41 pm

Hi

I would recommend FSX over FS9 unless you were really into addons of which there are more for FS9.

Scotty Curtis wrote:I also just made the step up to WIN7 64bit, with FSX but am still in test phase, so far so good.

I'm also on Windows 7 64 bit, I sometimes get a crash when I us the Menu Bar whilst in-game, I don't know what triggers it, but it shuts down the program.
Julian S

Postby Dwight G » Tue Mar 23, 2010 8:02 pm

I would also make the change from FS9 to FSX...but I just have WAAAYYYY to many add-ons of which some are not compatible with FSX and dont want to give them up.
"Now ladies and Gentlemen, This Fokker is the first Dutch plane to be built...They call it the 'Mother Fokker'"

Please feel free to add me to your MSN :D
Dwight G

Postby Dean Stalker » Tue Apr 06, 2010 9:03 am

Julian S wrote:Hi

I would recommend FSX over FS9 unless you were really into addons of which there are more for FS9.

Scotty Curtis wrote:I also just made the step up to WIN7 64bit, with FSX but am still in test phase, so far so good.

I'm also on Windows 7 64 bit, I sometimes get a crash when I us the Menu Bar whilst in-game, I don't know what triggers it, but it shuts down the program.

The menu bar crash is an annoying one, especially when flying on Vatsim and when you're just about to land after a 4 hour flight. :( The trick is try not to use the menu at all when flying, apparently you get a leeway of about 12 menu clicks before it crashes. The problem is with a .NET dll, uiautomationcore.dll. The trick is to find a Vista version of uiautomationcore.dll and register it in place of the Windows 7 one (not 100% sure if it works with 64bit though).

The best fix is here ...

http://forums1.avsim.net/index.php?showtopic=273341
Previous Rides - Ansett BAe146; Virgin Blue 734s (yeah the early lease ones), 737s, 738s; Qantas 762, 763, 744; QantasLink D8-Q400.
Dean Stalker

Postby Carsten Bauer » Mon Apr 12, 2010 6:53 pm

I believe the first SP for FSX enabled multicore CPU support, make sure you have applied that.
3NM W of PH VOR
Next Flights:
2013 FLIGHTS: PER-DXB-LHR, MUC-DXB-PER
Numloxx's Flightlog
jetphotos.net
Carsten Bauer
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Return to Aviation Gaming & Hobbies